Question to Explore
Why does it rain?
How do rain clouds work?
- Mason jar
- small cup
- Shaving cream
- blue food coloring
- Fill half the mason jar with water.
- Pour shaving cream into the mason jar so it forms a cloud-like shape at the top.
- Fill a small cup with water and add a few drops of blue food coloring.
- Fill the pipette with the blue water. (This water represents the water droplets that have evaporated from the oceans, lakes, rivers, etc. and are now condensing in the cloud.)
- Predict how many drops it will take to fill the cloud and begin to rain into the sky (represented by the water below).
- Hold the pipette above the shaving cream cloud and drop one drop in at a time, counting how many drops it takes to fill the cloud until it starts to rain.